We do know at some level if we keep going and going we will be worn down. Yet, so many of us come up with excuses to not take care of ourselves. The most common excuse I hear from my clients is, “There is not enough TIME.” Well, I can tell you from my experience being a “recovering perfectionist” that if you DO NOT MAKE TIME, the Universe will ensure you get it by putting you flat on your back as I was for the better part of seven years.
The world these days has so many distractions which makes it even more challenging to truly take the time we need to rejuvenate instead of plug into something else. It is up to each and every one of us to claim that time and do something that brings us joy, peace and rejuvenation so we can truly be the best we can be.
I wrote an article about 5 Hidden Windows of Time You Have That Can Change Your Life that describes moments we can take for ourselves that we might not even realize we have. It is also critical to know what self-care looks like FOR YOU. Knowing what brings you joy and rejuvenation is part of the process.
I wanted to offer you 5 ways to practice self-care now and hope you will take some time and do these simple exercises to bring some joy, peace and rejuvenation into your life!
1) Make That List! WHAT brings you joy, peace and rejuvenation? Make a list of 10 things you can do that would make you feel GOOD!! This can be simple things like; making a cup of tea, and relaxing in your favorite chair, taking a walk in nature, enjoying a long hot bath or doing some sort of meditation. Only YOU truly knows what brings you inner peace and calm. Have this list somewhere where you see it and know when you feel stressed you can grab this and pick one or two things from it. Why 10 items? Because we are self-sabotaging beings and sometimes we feel like that rebellious kid that will say, “Well, I don’t waaaanna [fill in the blank]”. Having 10 items makes it more likely you WILL feel like doing at least one of the things on your list.
2) Treat Yourself Physically with Exercise Is there an exercise class you have wanted to take? Do you like dancing? If the “no time” excuse comes up, know that there are plenty of SHORT workouts online – dance, yoga, qi gong, whatever it is you want to learn or makes you feel like you are playing. Nothing like a little sweat to revitalize you!
3) Treat Yourself Physically by Receiving When was the last massage you had? Perhaps you prefer Craniosacral Therapy. Maybe it has been so long since you have even considered treating yourself to something you don’t even know WHAT you like! If the “money” thing comes up for you – know you are WORTH it. Leaving such a session will make you more centered, calm, joyful and in a better place to “get things done.” If you feel you don’t have the money, you can ask for this as a gift for your birthday, Mother’s or Father’s Day or any other occasion or holiday – KNOW THAT YOU ARE WORTH IT!!
4) Treat Yourself Spiritually – There are so many ways to regroup spiritually. If we are not tuning in to see how we are doing daily, we truly are doing ourselves a disservice. Just as we ask people in our lives, “How are you?”, we need to begin asking ourselves. Our body and emotions begin showing signs things might not be perfect WAY before we truly feel out of balance. Pick out a guided meditation to listen to, receive an energy healing session, tune into a group energy session such as A to Z’s Full Moon Distance Energy Healing Session offered every month. There are countless ways to tune in but it means tuning out the noise and looking for ways to feed your soul!
5) Notice Your Self-Talk – Begin to notice how you talk to and about yourself daily. Replace it with kinder, gentler thoughts. Turn off the phone, computer for a few minutes and sit and think about things you love about yourself and your life. It could be your comfy bed, a sweet pet, a good friend, how you love to help others, how you made good meal for yourself or someone else. When we focus on the good, the good expands. Energy flows where attention goes. In the shower, in the morning before your feet hit the floor and in the evening when you’re falling asleep – tune in and make sure you think some good healthy positive thoughts. It truly sets the tone for the day ahead! The whole first unit of my book, “A Short Path to Change: 30 Ways to Transform Your Life” is about ridding ourselves of these negative habits. Be patient with yourself in the process and know it IS a process, but life is a whole lot better when you begin changing the way you speak and relate to yourself!
I am wishing you all the best on this journey with self-care. Be gentle with yourself. As we make adjustments and changes we will meet resistance… if you can see it and name it – it makes it easier to clear. The more you take care of yourself, the more your world and the people around you will also be in flow. It is so worth it and in these days it truly is not optional, it is critical and your body, mind and soul will thank you for it!